Monday, June 28, 2010

B is for Blueberry Pie

I really don't like blueberries in baked goods. For some reason it just seems wrong to me. That being said I had a huge bag of frozen blueberries in my freezer that I needed to do something with. So I decided to bake a blueberry pie and force it on my family and friends and work.

Basic Flaky Pie Crust for 9" Pie
Bake pie crust until golden brown, let cool for 3 minutes then brush with lightly beaten egg white

Filling:
4 cups blueberries
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp fresh lemon juice
pinch salt
Bring 1 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Let simmer for about 5 minutes until the berries pop/release their juice. While the berries are simmering whisk together 2 tbsp water with 2 tbsp cornstarch.

Then add the cornstarch mixture, sugar, lemon and salt to the simmering berries. Stir together until the mixture becomes slightly thicker and translucent in colour (about 1 minute). Remove from heat, stir in the remaining 3 cups of blueberries. Pour the berry mixture into the baked pie crust.

The pie needs to sit at room temperature for about 2 hours until the filling is set. Serve.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Lovely Lady!!! How I miss your tasty treats. I hope you are well!! Congrats on the new job!
    Kendra xo

    ReplyDelete