Monday, March 8, 2010

G is for Ginger-Date Loaf

My boyfriend loves ginger and dates so when I stumbled across a version of this recipe I knew I had to try it myself. To me this loaf tastes like a ginger snap cookie in bread form with a few dates throughout (even though I added a lots of dates).

1 cup coarsely chopped pitted dates
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
1 egg
1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

In a bowl combine the dates, baking soda and boiling water - let cool to room temperature.

In a bowl whisk together the flour, ginger, baking powder and salt -set aside.

Cream together the sugar and butter until fluffy and pale. Add the egg. Then stir in the date mixture, crystallized ginger and yogurt until combined (don't worry if it looks a little curdled - its normal). Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Pour into a 9x5 greased loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan then transfer to a rack.

There is an option to glaze this loaf if you want it to be more of a tea time sweet treat. (My boyfriend wanted to eat this for breakfast so I decided against the glaze). Stir together 1/2 cup icing sugar and 2 tbsp water until smooth (you want it to be thin enough to drizzle) - drizzle over the loaf and top with 3 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment